23.8.11

Easy Peasy Gazpacho Soup


So, I was in my kitchen this morning...making myself some coffee...minding my own business when I get the sudden feeling that I'm being watched. I feel dozens of burning eyes staring right at me. I turn around to face the culprits...they were red, round, and feeling a little neglected: the tomatoes I picked from my garden on Sunday. They have been sitting in their bowl for a couple days now barely touched. I feel so ashamed. But what is one to do with a ton of tomatoes? One word: gazpacho (and a fun word, too, gazzzz-pacho).

Gazpacho is a cold tomato and veggie soup; perfect for a bumper crop of tomatoes and garden veggies. You can add as many or few veggies that you'd like and it'll always taste fantastic. It's almost completely fool proof (I say almost in hopes not to jinx anyone). Plus it's really simple to make which means I'm game.

What you'll need
 Tomato Juice (at least 2-3 cups depending on the batch size)
 Several Tomatoes
 Bell Peppers (I used a red and yellow)
 A Large Cucumber
 Several Small Onions
    - and any other preferred veggies (avocado works really well!)
 3 teaspoons of White Vinegar
 Herbs (I used fresh basil and oregano); and a
 A Blender 


The veggie line-up

I used a low-sodium V8...heavenly

Pour the tomato juice, white vinegar, tomatoes, and herbs into the blender; blend until coarsely pureed.



Pour the yummy contents into a large bowl. Finely chop the rest of the veggies (cucumbers, peppers, and onions) and pour into the soup. Add cooked brown rice if you're craving a heartier soup! 

The baby eggplant was a last minute addition.
He was the lone ranger in my garden so I threw him in, too!
I say, the more the merrier!


Pretty like a rainbow

Mix together and add a dash of salt and pepper to taste. Cover the soup and let marinate in the refrigerator for at least an hour to let the flavors blend together. 

Serve chilled and taste the rainbow! Enjoy!

  

0 comments:

 

Eat Simply. Live Healthy. Copyright © 2011 -- Template created by O Pregador -- Powered by Blogger