2.8.11

Deena's Organic Fiber Bran Muffins Recipe

Yum! I love bran muffins especially when they're homemade, and I love getting my DV of fiber without having it taste cardboard-y. A woman I work with, Deena (who's a baking/cooking god) gave me this recipe; and if Deena makes it, you know it's good stuff. I need a fiber boost, so I'm excited to make these delicious, nutritious, health bombs.

*Warning* Do not adjust your monitor--If you didn't notice, the first ingredient is a box of raisin bran...yes, you read correctly (I double checked with Chef Deena). This recipe makes alot of muffins, so you're either going to want to freeze 'em (muffins or batter) or give 'em (unless your family is similar to that of TLC's 19 and Counting, then you're welcome to eat 'em up)! 

Lets jump on the Bran Band Wagon, yeeehaw!

Ingredients:

1 box of Raisin Bran Cereal
1 quart of Buttermilk/ or Almond Milk with 2 tablespoons of Lemon Juice
2.5 cups of White Flour
2.5 cups of Whole Wheat Flour
1 cup of Sugar
3 teaspoon of Baking Soda
1 teaspoon of Salt
4 Eggs
1 cup of Oil

Optional Yummy Add-Ins:

Nuts
Wheatgerm
Flaxseed (check)
Pumpkin seeds (double check)
Dried fruit (I'm adding dried cherries and apricots)


Before you start mixing, set the oven at 400 degrees...and get a lot of muffin tins. You'll need 'em.


That's a big bowl of cereal

I mixed all of the yummy add-ins (which turned out to be a lot of odds and ends that I found in my cupboards, but it's a fun way to personalize your muffins!) to the raisin bran then combined my wet ingredients in a separate bowl.



Mix all the ingredients together and scoop into tins...the batter tastes awesome!


Finally, throw them (gently) into the oven. Deena said to let them bake about 20-25 minutes, but mine were ready in a lightning speed of 15 minutes!...So watch them carefully so they don't burn.



Yum! Look at those cherries, raisins and yumberries. I don't mean to toot my own horn (toot), but they came out really good! What a delicious way to get in your fiber dose; but being so high in fiber, I need to remind myself not to inhale a ton or I may end up in the bathroom later tonight. They're so good, you may forget they're actually good for you! Suddenly the FiberOne commercial with the creepy man comes to mind: Cardboard? No. Delicious? Yes!

If you try this recipe, let me know :) Happy eating!

   

0 comments:

 

Eat Simply. Live Healthy. Copyright © 2011 -- Template created by O Pregador -- Powered by Blogger