14.5.11

The Pre-5K Experience

To even think that I would have entered a race to run would have sounded crazy a year ago. I used to hate running--the thought of a 20 min. run after softball practice would ignite a miniature panic attack; but last year, I decided to face my running demons. Let me tell you, going from a non-running individual to trying to become one was a long and grueling process. Maybe it was just me (and I wouldn't doubt it), but building my running stamina took forever. If I ran Monday, and didn't run again until Thursday, my stamina pretty much evaporated and I'd be huffing and puffing again on the treadmill. But I stuck with it, and running went from an asthma-induced stressor to, surprisingly, relaxation; that "runner's high" that crazy people spoke of, became a somewhat reality (still working on it). One mile slowly became two, which eventually became four, and now I'm registered for a 5k. Bam.

The race I'm registered in is a 5K, 3.1 mi., and a Half Marathon, 13.1 mi., (I'm not on that level, yet). I'm running with over 600 strangers; & being my first 5k, I'm a tad nervous. The extent of my running has been on a treadmill with the luxury of cruise control, so I'm hoping I'll be able to keep my pace. I also think it was a mistake to do a KettleBell session yesterday (all of my leg muscles are screaming)--not my best attempt at planning ahead.

The race is tomorrow (cue the dramatic music: dun, dun, dun). Bring it on 3.1 miles of pavement, my FiveFingers; Jock-Jams playlist; and I are ready for ya.

I'll publish my post-experience tomorrow, after I catch my breath.

0 comments:

 

Eat Simply. Live Healthy. Copyright © 2011 -- Template created by O Pregador -- Powered by Blogger