1.1.12

New Year's Healthy Chocolate Souffles


HAPPY NEW YEAR! 

After countless "I can't believe I won't leave the house until next year" or "I'm not going to eat until next year" jokes, I can't believe it's finally 2011 2012; it will probably take another year for me to correctly write the date. 2012 is the year I graduate with my bachelor's degree, a year I never thought would come for another 100 years. I'm growing up and it's hard to believe. New Years is also a time when the gym is more packed than Black Friday; though this will only go on for a week or so, it makes finding an good treadmill (good is defined by having a working television and elapsed time tracker.... my gym is flashback from the 70's) more difficult. However, it is nice to see people bettering themselves and their health.

I want to make my resolutions for the new year not resolutions but lifelong habits. I am still composing a draft in my head, but this is what I have come up with so far:

  1. Eat more slowly by cutting my food up into smaller pieces (I sometimes eat like I haven't seen food in 10 years rather than 10 minutes)
  2. Stay more connected to friends and family especially when I am away at school.
  3. Live and let live by letting others conduct their lives (as long as they're not hurting themselves or others) without letting their actions affect mine
  4. Never go to bed mad
  5. Read a book a month
  6. Worry less about things that are out of my control.
  7. Limit myself to one soda a day (this one is tough, but I'm willing to try)
  8. Listen more closely to what people are saying (I forget names within the first 5 seconds when meeting someone new)
  9. Find time to go to church at least twice a month
  10. Appreciating everyone and everything I love by counting my blessings
That's what I have so far and I'm excited to incorporate these into years to come!

For New Year's Eve, my boyfriend and I decided to stay this year and have a relaxing holiday at home. Christmas tuckered us out and we wanted a night to break out the champagne (great combo: champagne + cranberry juice = lovely) without the worry of driving... plus all the restaurants were booked and we wanted to cook my family dinner.

I also have been watching a lot of the show, "Chopped",  lately. It's my favorite show and I have an unhealthy obsession with The Food Network. I was watching it late last week and during an episode, if you have seen the show, the final two contestants made souffles in the final dessert round. Then it clicked. I have never had a souffle, and I was feeling French, so I decided to make chocolate souffles for New Year's Eve dinner. 

I found a great recipe on Shape Magazine's Web site, plus you can have a couple without the guilt!

        What you'll need:
1 cup        powdered sugar
1⁄2 cup      unsweetened cocoa powder
2 T           flour
1⁄2 c         2% milk (I used almond milk and they came out fine)
1⁄2 c         cold water
4              egg whites
1⁄8 t          cream of Tartar (what is this stuff anyways?)
4 t            sugar
3              egg yolks
1⁄2 t          almond extract
1              cupcake tin

Then I topped it off with cherries and whipped cream but any fruit topping would be superb. 

       What to do:
  1. Preheat oven to 350F. 
  2. Sift powdered sugar, cocoa, and flour into a double boiler. Add milk and water and whisk until creamy over medium heat. Continue to gently whisk mixture, without stopping, for about 8 to 10 minutes or until it begins to thicken. Remove pan from heat and set aside. In a mixer, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until peaks begin to form. Slowly add sugar and continue to beat until still peaks form. Set aside.
  3. Blend egg yolks and almond extract into chocolate mixture. Fold in half the egg white mixture, then fold in the remaining half. Spoon batter into a cupcake tin that is spritzed with cooking spray, leaving a ½-inch space at the top. (You can refrigerate uncooked soufflé at this point for up to 24 hours before baking.)
  4. Place cupcake tin on a baking sheet and bake for 17 minutes or until soufflés are puffy but still jiggle a little in the center. 
  5. Meanwhile, make a sauce by blend cherries in a food processor. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon of lemon juice. Spoon sauce over each soufflé and serve warm! 


I found this recipe to be easy and the souffles came out really moist and delicious! Pictures below :)

                        









David enjoyed his! He and I also wanted to cook my mom and dad a full surf and turf dinner! Not to pat ourselves on the back, but we cooked a darn stinking, great meal. Organic grass fed steaks and lobster tails. I love animals, but I don't think I could ever be a vegetarian.


 


I got to ring in the New Year with everyone I love dearly. I am excited for the new year!

What are some of your New Year's resolutions habits?

0 comments:

 

Eat Simply. Live Healthy. Copyright © 2011 -- Template created by O Pregador -- Powered by Blogger