29.5.12

"Healthified" Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp


Memorial Day weekend was filled with my 3 favorite F-words: fitness, family and food. My family, boyfriend and I spent the weekend in the Adirondacks soaking up the perfect and sorta-bug-free weather. We didn't have much service which was a welcomed change; however, it didn't stop me from taking pictures of trees and desserts with Instagram. My aunt is a skinny-chef who whips up cookies the size of Frisbees then goes for a 17-mile run; so, though I didn't run a 1/2 marathon this weekend, I still got some yummy looking pictures!

A gym of any sort is out of the question so we stay active by running, biking, rowing and hiking. My boyfriend and I didn't bring our road bikes up this time--- the first hill off my road is known for flashing your life before your eyes--- instead, we hiked and the view looked like a photograph (and with the help of Instragram it really did, mwhaha!).




Whew! Going up was a workout but we did see 21 frogs--- which doesn't have to do with the hardness of the hike but it was still a lot of frogs!

Before the weekend my aunt and I bought several bushels of rhubarb from the farmer's market. I haven't cooked a ton with it but wanted to try a crisp with a healthy twist, so I introduce to you my "healthified" version of Strawberry-Rhubarb Crisp.

What you'll need:

4 C chopped rhubarb
3 C hulled and halved strawberries
14 packets of Stevia (we only had individual packets)--- or use 1/2 cup of suagr
2 tsp cornstarch
4 tsp butter at room temperature
4 tsp unsweetened applesauce
1 C soft white wheat flour 
1/2 cup oats 
1/4 cup brown sugar

What to do:
  1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and grease a baking pan.
  2. In a large bowl, mix the rhubarb, strawberries, Stevia, and cornstarch. 
  3. Pour into the greased baking dish.
  4. In another bowl, add the butter and applesauce into the flour oats and brown sugar.
  5. Sprinkle the topping over the fruit and bake about 30 minutes, topping should be golden brown.
  6. Let cool and enjoy!



The crisp..... 


and weekend was a success!

   



2 comments:

KovasP said...

I'm not a fan of Stevia, but it's a simple recipe and we have lots of rhubarb in the garden, will have to try!

Anderson said...

You can substitute real sugar, regardless it's going to be delicious! :)

 

Eat Simply. Live Healthy. Copyright © 2011 -- Template created by O Pregador -- Powered by Blogger